- Removed READ_PHONE_STATE permission, added without my knowledge by a bug in the Android build tools
Monthly Archives: December 2014
- On devices without a compass, the compass button is replaced with a travel direction arrow and the map can still be aligned to the travel direction
- New HUD options: black background, less-cryptic labels (but smaller value display)
- Improved detection of external SD cards
- Tap the GPS dot (or the cross at the center of the screen when not following GPS) to create a new waypoint there
- File selection: options to sort folders before files, hide .hidden files
- Bug fixes
- Many translation improvements, especially for Russian
Play Store and VATMOSS
This a stripped-down version of the article in French.
Google decided to automatically add VAT to add sales within the EU as a result of the new European VAT rules for virtual goods sales.
Because FrogSparks is a very small company, I do not collect VAT on sales (I sell VAT-free), at least in France (it’s not clear yet whether this exemption extends to other EU sales). But because of this, I also can’t deduct the VAT I pay my suppliers. This means that Google is forcing me to pay VAT twice on the map licenses.
Consequently, I have to increase prices in the Play Store for EU countries (which mechanically increases Google’s cut, and the other set of taxes I have to pay, which are based on revenue, not income, but that’s another matter).
If you would like to keep purchasing maps at the “normal” VAT-free price, you can use our web site.
- Fixed Google Earth
- Removed Yahoo (the old Yahoo tiles are no longer available and the new service uses a protected HERE API)
- Optimization and fixes for map tile display
- Fixed inability to create offline OS25k-only maps
- Fixes and optimizations for WMS maps
- New option to hide automatic waypoints (pause and altimeter)
- Added support for using voice search: “Ok Google, search for Paris using MyTrails” (English-only until Google starts to support other languages)