- Fix sharing tracks when the file is in an unexpected location
- Notifications and adaptive icon for Android Oreo
- Smarter max speed cutoff for GPS positions
- Replace Google+ with new MyTrails forum
- Fix IGN map
Google some time ago switched all maps-related APIs from free to paid, which requires changes in apps that use those APIs. Because MyTrails can aggregate several similar services, I didn’t immediately realize that some functionality MyTrails relies on was no longer available.
I will be releasing an update that restores directions, POI search and location search functionality. For Pro users, I will test whether MyTrails can keep using the paid Google APIs, but for free users, MyTrails will likely have to switch to free services, such as OSM, and I may have to restrict directions.
You can restore some of the search functionality in MyTrails 2.1.4 by enabling the OpenStreetMap search provider in MyTrails > Preferences > Other.
In the latest 2.16 beta, Google search, directions and altitude are fixed.
Due to a Play Store policy change, MyTrails SMS is no longer available on the Play Store. MyTrails can still send out your location as an SMS (because this uses your standard SMS app to do so), but it can no longer receive SMS directly.
In a later update, MyTrails will change the format of sent SMS so that they can be more easily clicked to restore some of the functionality.
You can install the latest version of MyTrails SMS by downloading it here.
- Fix opening maps.google.com URLs
- Warn when trying to record and MyTrails is not excluded from battery optimization
- Support Google’s enhanced GPS when available (turn off in Preferences > Sensors)
- Fix OPNVKarte, Statkart, IGM, CalTopo, Google Earth and Terrain
- Provide fail-over IP addresses for license server (to work around Russian block)
According to this site, maps.frogsparks.com is among many sites being blocked by the Russian government (technically, the IP address the host resolves to is part of a large block “B-class” of IPs blocked wholesale by Russia – the block is not targeted at MyTrails specifically). This means that for users in Russia, MyTrails Pro can no longer verify its licensing status, and will revert to Free mode even if you have paid.
If you are affected by this, you can use a VPN to allow MyTrails to get around the block. The licensing status must be verified at least once every two months.
MyTrails 2.1.4b2 contains a workaround for this.
A change on the Minambiente site broke this map for MyTrails. Fortunately, a simple edit fixes it: MyTrails > Maps > tap on the IGM 25k (IT) line and in the map details editor, change the version from
1.3.0, then use the back button to save the change.
This will be available by default in the next beta release of MyTrails.
The URL for this map changed recently, breaking it for MyTrails. You can fix it by downloading the new beta or changing the URL for the map to
- Increase recording icons sizes
- Replace IDEE map with IGN for Spain
- Fix 4UMaps
- Make error reports opt-in as required by Play Store policies
- Fix track normalization
IGN Spain completely revamped their mapping website and as part of that the URL MyTrails was using no longer works. Here is an updated map definition you can import until the next update of MyTrails:
- Fix StreetView
- Improve fullscreen mode, especially pre-Kitkat